Amritsari Dal or Dal amritsari is aprepared with whole black lentils(whole urad) and bengal gram ( pressure cooker also, without compromising on the taste. The dish got it’s final sizzle when spices are fried in ghee until aromatic and mixed into the creamy Langarwali dal just before serving. Serve this dal hot garnished with some chopped coriander with Naan, Paratha or chapati.
Amritsari Dal also known as Langarwali dal is popular among Punjabi dal recipes served in the Gurudwaras. Every gurudwara has a langar hall, which is a place where volunteers serve free vegetarian meals to anyone who visit the Gurudwara, regardless of race, religion, economic status, etc.
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- whole black gram, wash and soaked overnight
- Split Bengal Gram, wash and soaked overnight
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp garlic
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 500ml water
- Clean, wash and soak the whole black gram and bengal gram in water overnight.
- Pressure cook the lentils along with water, salt, turmeric powder on medium heat for 15 minutes.Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.Whisk so as to mash the dal and cook on low flame for another10 minutes so it thickens a bit. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cinnamon and cumin seeds and let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Add ginger, garlic,and onion and fry until onions are slightly browned.
- Add chopped green chili and tomatoes and fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add little water if required.
- Add red chili powder,coriander powder,cumin powder,and garam masala powder and fry for a second.
- Add this to the cooked daal and mix well. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with Whole Wheat Roti.