Tandoori Chicken Tikka where chunks of chicken are marinated in special spices and then grilled on skewers in clay oven called tandoor/Indian grill. This Tandoori Chicken Tikka is surprisingly easy to make and a must for entertaining your friends and family .
Most of the ingredients used in the Tandoori Masala in which the chicken is marinated is easily available in your kitchen staples. This beautiful homemade tandoori masala has a fragrant Indian spice blend typically made from peppercorns, mace, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and nutmeg.
Tandoori Chicken Tikka can also be made into Butter Chicken where the grilled chicken pieces are added to a tasty gravy. Traditionally, chicken tikka is cooked in a clay oven called a tandoor, but you can make this using your grill or the oven. All you have to do is marinate the chicken in yogurt and spice and keep overnight. Simply soak the wooden skewers for 10 minutes in water before threading the chicken and bakein an oven till done. Enjoy this chicken tikka with naan.
Ingredients for Tandoori Chicken Tikka:
- 300 gms skinless boneless chicken thighs cut into bite size pieces
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup hung curd
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- ½ tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp Tandoori Masala Powder
- Butter for basting
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- Salad & chutney to serve
Instructions to make Tandoori Chicken Tikka
- Wash and chop the chicken into chunks.I prefer chicken thighs which are a more succulent , but you are free to use chicken breast as well.
- In a bowl large combine the yogurt, oil,salt and spices.Whisk to combine.Then add the chicken and mix until it is evenly coated. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Soak wooden skewers in water for 10 minutes.
- When you’re ready to cook the chicken, Preheat the grill on medium and set an oven rack in the top position. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set a wire rack on top; grease the rack with oil.
- Shake off the excess marinade and thread the chicken pieces onto the skewers and place them on a wire rack. Cook under the grill for 15-20 minutes. Turn the skewers every 5 minutes & baste with melted butter until the juices run clear and they are cooked through slightly charred around the edges.
- Serve warm over layered paratha sprinkled with chaat masala and lemon juice along with mint chutney and salad. this is how we best enjoy this as a wrap.
This easy to cook tikkas smells heavenly with the marinated chicken cooking with its moist juices . Serve with some chat masala with a dollop of freshly made mint chutney and some salad for a easy bruch.