Ice Apple,Palm fruit, Sugar Palm, Tala Saja or Nungu is one such fruit you will find on every street corner during summer . Palm fruits or Sugar palm are called Taal Shaja in Odia, Nungu in Tamil, Thaati Nungu in Kannada, Thaati Munjalu in Telugu ,Tad gola in Marathi and Tad phal in Hindi. Palm fruit, is a refreshing treat for those languishing in this hot summers.Due to its cooling effect, this fruit is known as ice apple. The fruit, which is available in abundance during the hot season, is rich in B vitamins, iron and calcium. The flesh of the this fruit is similar to litchi in texture and the taste is similar to fresh coconut.
Palm fruit/Sugar Palm has a lot of health benefits. It provides a perfect balance of minerals and sugar for the body during the summer season. Ice apple or Sugar Palm is also rich in Vitamin A, B and C, Iron, Zinc, Phosphorous, Potassium and lots more which is good for the human body. Above all, this is a natural coolant food for the body during the summer season. Since it contains a lot of water, the best way to keep yourself hydrated during summer is with the help of this fruit. During summer, people generally tend to feel a lot more tired since they sweat a lot. The best way to fight fatigue is with the help of ice apple or Sugar Palm.
Though there are a ton of summer fruits to eat during summer, ice apple or sugar palm is the best, since it has less amount of calories and high amount of energy.It keeps the glucose levels up and provides the right balance of minerals and nutrients to the body.It has a buff color covering that has to be removed to eat the ice apple inside. Ice apples have soft jelly like flesh beneath that contains minor amount of sweetened water inside it. Ice apples must be consumed at once when cut as it become rubbery when stored and the sugar inside ferments changing its taste.
Do try making a tender ice cream out of sugar palm at home in this summer and I am sure you will love it.My boy loves it and that’s the best reward for me. The basic ice cream recipe has got it’s makeover with this tropical fruit and the addition of chocolate sauce has taken it to a different level. Go ahead and enjoy this yummy sugar palm ice cream.
Setting time: 24 hours
- 1 cup chopped sugar Palm flesh + extra for garnishing
- 200ml Amul fresh cream
- 100 ml Condensed Milk
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Hot Chocolate for garnishing
Let’s Learn How to make this interesting Ice cream:
- Clean and wash sugar palm flesh. Chop them into pieces and blend into smooth puree.
- Place the attachment of the hand blender and a deep bowlin the deep freezer for 15 minutes.
- Whip the chilled cream till for 5 to 6 minutes. Add condensed milk , vanilla extract and sugar palm flesh puree and combined well so that no lumps remain.
- Set the temperature of the freezer to highest.
- Pour the mixture into an air tight container or aluminum tray, cover with an aluminum foil and put in the freezer for overnight or minimum 6 hours. Once it is set, remove from freezer and beat with the help of a hand blender till slushy.
- Pour the mixture again into an air tight container or aluminum tray and freeze again for at least 5 to 6 hours or till the ice cream sets. Repeat this process once more to get a smooth creamy ice cream.
- Scoop and serve with some chopped sugar palm and drizzle some chocolate sauce over it to enjoy this exotic and tropical Ice cream.