Poi Chingudi besara is an authentic Odia dish where Poi saaga or Malabar spinach along with pumpkin, ridge gourd, potato, brinjal , prawn are cooked in a mustard based gravy known as besara . In short, Poi Chingudi besara means Malabar spinach and prawns in mustard gravy.
Poi Chingudi got it’s unique taste from the masala blend known as Besara which is a mix of black mustard, cumin, dry red chili and garlic ground to a smooth paste. Poi chingudi rai is healthy, delicious, and rich in protein and vitamins. This recipe goes well with plane rice.
Malabar spinach is high in Vitamin A , Vitamin C, iron, and calcium. It has a high amount of protein for a plant and is also a good source of magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium.
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time : 25 minutes
- Serves : 4 persons
- 400 gm Poi saga/ malabar spinach, chopped and the thin stems cut into 2 inch long
- 100 gm (medium size) Chingudi /prawn :
- 1 (small) Brinjal, chopped
- 50 gm pumkin, chopped
- 1 small ridge gourd, chopped
- 2 medium potato, chopped
- 1 small Tomato, cut into small pieces
- 1 tspTurmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp panch phutan
- 4 tbsp Mustard oil
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for masala paste
- 2 tsp Mustard seed
- 5 to 6 clovesGarlic
- ½ tsp Cumin seed
- 2 Dry Red chili
- Clean and wash the prawns nicely and add ½ tsp turmeric powder and salt to it.
- Make a paste of mustard seed, cumin seed, garlic and red chili and keep them aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp mustard oil and fry the prawns in it. Keep them aside.
- In the same pan heat another 2 tbsp mustard oil and when hot, add panch phutan in it. When it starts to crackle add chopped vegetables and fry till it the vegetables are half cooked.
- Then add mustard paste, chopped tomatoes in it and fry for only one minute and immediately add 1 cups of water in it. Add turmeric powder, salt, and poi saag stems in it. Cover it with a lid and cook till vegetables are done.
- Remove the lid and add chopped poi saag leaves and prawns in it. Again cover it and cook till it’s completely done.
- Serve hot with rice.