Instant Rava Kuzhi Paniyaram is a south Indian breakfast recipe which is known as Paniyaram in Tamilnadu, Paddu in karnataka and Ponganalu in Andhra Pradesh. Paniyaram recipe is usually prepared with leftover idli – dosa batter, but if you are running short of time , you can try this instant version prepared with semolina.
Paniyaram is usually served as breakfast and has both sweet and savory versions. To make this recipe, you need a special paniyaram pan which is a heavy bottom pan with deep holes in it and available both in iron and a non stick version. Apply some oil on it and pour the batter and cook on medium heat for a few minutes and then turn and cook the other side till golden color. I prefer o have it with Peanut chutney, but you can serve it with coconut chutney,tomato chutney etc.
Instant Rave Paniyaram recipe is a quick, no fermentation recipe that can be instantly made for breakfast or a quick snack. The addition of vegetables like, carrot, green peas add vibrancy along with nutrition in this recipe. Here, I have used normal Rava or Semolina which we typically use it for Upma . The use of yogurt fastens the fermentation process when mixed with baking soda.
- 1 cup semolina
- 1 1/2 cup yogurt
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, thinly grated
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 5 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Cooking Soda
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Mix semolina and yogurt in a large mixing bowl and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, once it splutters, add curry leaves,chopped onion and the carrot and green peas. Add salt and cook till onion becomes brown.
- Pour this over the semolina and yogurt mix and stir well. Add coriander leaves and the warm water to make a pouring consistency.
Add baking soda and combine well. Heat Paniyaram pan , add add few drops of oil inside the holes.
- Now fill the holes with a tbsp of batter in each.Cover and simmer for a minute or until it gets cooked slightly.once the base turns golden, flip it over to the other side using a spoon.Simmer further and cook on low heat until it turns golden browns.
- Serve instant Rava Paniyaram with peanut chutney.