Paneer Makhane Ki Sabzi is a delicious no onion and garlic recipe prepared with the lotus seeds and cottage cheese . The lotus seeds or the phool makhana are one of the popular fasting ingredients in India.Lotus seed in dried form are called as Makhana or fox nut.
Though Phool Makhana /fox nut is often used as fasting food but it has wide health benefits. It is a good source of calcium and it’s low glycemic index makes it ideal for diabetic people to iclude it in their diet. Makhana seeds have calming properties to helps in insomnia and stress, very good for arthritis and is an anti oxidant food thus have anti aging properties .Their low sodium and high magnesium content make these ideal for those suffering from heart disease, diabetes , high blood pressure and obesity.
Paneer Makhane Ki Sabzi is a creamy curry that is rich and goes really well with roti, whole wheat naan, butter naan or phulkas and makes a wholesome lunch idea. This curry is rich, sweet and just amazing to indulge.
- 1 Cup Makhana (foxnuts)
- 100 gms Paneer
- 1/4 cup Green peas
- 2 medium size tomato
- 1 green chili
- 1 inch ginger
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp oil
- Grind chopped tomato, green chili, and ginger to a smooth puree and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and fry the makhana until crisp. Set aside till required.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Cook for a second or so. Now add the tomato ginger green chili puree and fry the masala over low heat till oil starts to separate from the masala. Add the spices and the green peas . Cook for a minute or so.
- Add approximately 1/4 Cup of water and allow the curry to simmer for 5 minutes to thicken a bit.
- Add the grated paneer and roasted foxnuts and stir to combine nicely. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle garam masala and serve Roti or Phulka.