Tenderraw Jack fruit, called PANASA KATHA in Odia and Kathal in Hindi, is an exotic vegetable considered as vegetarian meat because of its meat like texture and flavor. The tender Jack fruit is used to prepare curries, Dalma, cutlets, kababs and biryani. This particular fruit is abundantly found in almost every second home in Odisha and my childhood memories associated with this fruit is the exchange of home grown vegetables and fruits were very common and Jack fruit featured quite commonly in that exchange.
Jack fruit / Panasa /Kathal is one of its own kind of tropical fruits, recognized for its unique shape, size, and fruity flavor that can be appreciated from a distance. The fruit is also rich in energy, dietary fiber, minerals, and vitamins and free from saturated fats or cholesterol, making it one of the healthy summer treat to relish!
- Jackfruit is rich in dietary fiber, which makes it a good bulk laxative. The fiber content helps protect the colon mucous membrane by binding to and eliminating cancer-causing chemicals from the colon.
- Raw jackfruit has small amounts ofVitamin-A and flavonoid which play vital roles in antioxidant and vision functions. Vitamin A is also required for maintaining integrity of mucus membranes and skin. Consumption of natural fruits rich in vitamin-A, and carotenes has been found to protect from lung and oral cavity cancers.
- Additionally, jackfruit is a good source of antioxidant vitamin-C, which helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful free radicals.
- It is one of the rare fruits that is rich in B-complex group of vitamins. It contains very good amounts of vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), niacin, riboflavin, and folic acid.
- Raw jackfruit is a good source of potassium, magnesium, manganese, and iron. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure.
You should try this simple and delicious recipe forJackfruit Curry / Panasa Katha Kassa/ Kathal Ki Sabzi and get acquainted with the wonderful flavor and texture of a truly versatile fruit/vegetable – Jackfruit. It is similar to taste in like mutton curry. This curry is especially for those who don’t like non-veg, but they can enjoy the taste of non-veg with this curry. I am sure you will love this curry. To prepare this curry in Odia style, you need to note down the following ingredients.