Oou khatta is a very integral part of the Habisa meals consistng of Arua anna, Habisa Dalma and Oou khatta. Oou or elephant apple is added to the Habisa dalma as a souring agent and also made into a sweet-sour relish called khatta. Oou, chalta, Owtenga are some of the local names of the fruit which is grown in semi -tropical humid atmosphere. Elephant apple or Oou is a layered vegetable. Layers needs to be taken out & separated & skinned before slicing. But if you know how to cut, prepare and cook them then you will not leave this chance to use them.
Ingredients for Oou Khatta
- 1 big Oou/ elephant apple
- 1/2 cup Jaggery
- 1/2 tspTurmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tsp Panch Phutan (A mix of cumin, mustard, fenugreek, fennel and kalonji in equal proportion)
- 2 Whole dry Red chilly
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 2 to 3 green chillies
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Remove the petals of the Oou. Cut the petals into thinner pieces.
- Make a paste of mustard seeds, green chilies and dilute it with water.
- Heat oil in a pan and add panch phutan to the pan and let it splutter. Add dry red chilly and curry leaves and saute for a few seconds.
- Add Oou, turmeric powder,salt and cook for 4 to 5 minutes at mediun flame, till they are soft. Add water with mustard paste,cover with lid and wait till it boil(approximately 3 to 4 minutes).
- Add Jaggery, chili powder and cook till jaggery melts and the water is reduced to the desired consistency . Take it out after one minute.
- You can keep this khatta in refrigerator for few days.