Muga Dalma with Lau is the prefect meal I cook on a meatless day .This is one way of making dalma with yellow moongdal and bottlegourd. Dalma is a very quick and simple comforting food which gets ready easily. You can make this finger licking food for your lunch quite easily by following this recipe.
Dalma is one of the most common recipe in any Odia household, particularly the coastal Odisha. In this vegetarian dish the dal and lots and lots of vegetables are cooked together. Hence it is usually recommended for kids, who are usually reluctant in eating vegetables.Many types of Dalma is prepared in Odisha, from single dal to a combination of dal.You can keep experimenting with this dish by use of different vegetables together or with single vegetable like this Lau Dalma.
Mung Dal or Green Gram plays a important role in odia household.The split moong dal is dry roasted till it turn golden brown and a delightful aroma . After this it is cooked with Bottle gourd and tempered with spices to enhance its flavor. This can be eaten with both rice and roti.
- 1/2 cup mung daal (Split green gram)
- 1/2 Bottle gourd cut into cubes
- 1 large potato cubed
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin seed
- 2 Dry red chili
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 tsp Roasted cumin & dry chili powder( 1 tbsp cumin seeds and 2 nos dry red chilli)
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Dry toast the Moong daal on slow flame till they turn golden brown and aromatic. Turn off the heat and soak the daal till you finish the preparation.
- Peel and chop the potato and the bottle gourd into medium size cubes.
- In a deep pan take two cups water and add salt, turmeric and add the potato pieces and bring to a boil. Once the potato are half cooked , then add the bottle gourd and the soaked daal and cook till the bottle gourd and the daal are cooked perfectly.
- Dry roast 1 tbsp cumin and 2 nos of dry red chili and once cooled, make a coarse powder using the mortar and pestle or in a dry grinder.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan . Add cumin seeds, dry red chili and bay leaf.when cumin seeds stop spluttering, then add the grated ginger and cook for 20 secs.
- Now add the cooked dal and vegetables .Check the seasoning, add salt if required.Add roasted cumin and dry chili powder on the top.Mix well and serve with chopped coriander leaves on top.