Methi Murgh/ Methi Chicken is a mildly spicy chicken recipe with a subtle flavour of fresh methi/fenugreek leaves. This is a very creamy and tasty chicken gravy recipe to serve and enjoy. Fenugreek leaves or Methi leaves offers a very strong and distinctive flavor to any recipe. The fenugreek seeds and the fresh leaves are usually cooked with vegetables , meat or lentils. Whereas, the dry leaves popularly known as ‘Kasuri Methi’ are used to give additional flavor to many dishes.
Methi Murgh can also be made with dry fenugreek leaves but I prefer to cook with fresh leaves when it is in season.This Methi Chicken recipe which is particularly famous in the northern part of India is always on my winter menu. Besids this I also cook Methi Paratha / Methi Chappati / Methi Thepla and Methi Matar Malai.
To Prepare Methi Chicken
- 1 cup fenugreek leaves, cleaned and coarsely chopped
- 500 gm chicken , cut in medium sized pieces
- 100 gms, yoghurt, whisked
- 1/2 tsp, turmeric powder
- 1½ tsp, coriander powder
- 1 tsp, cumin powder
- 1 tsp, kashmiri red chilli powder
- Salt as per taste
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 green cardamom
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 5 black pepper corns
- ½ teaspoon, crushed mace
- 3 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 nos green chillies, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 large, tomatoes, finely chopped or finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp, garam masala powder
- 1 tsp, sugar
- Water as required
How To Make Methi Chicken Malai
- Clean the chicken and add salt, turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, yogurt and mix well. Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and allow it to crackle. Once the aroma of fried cumin releases, then add chopped green chili and all the whole spices and cook for few seconds.
- Then, add chopped onions and saute on high heat for a minute. Fry until they just pick the golden colour. Now, add the ginger garlic paste and saute till raw smells disappears. Add tomatoes and saute them well on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the marinated chicken .Cover and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Add fenugreek leaves (methi) and cook on high for another minute or so.Finally, add garam masala powder and sugar. Mix everything together and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with Rice, Roti or Paratha.