Lau Badhi Tarkari is a simple light curry very popular in all Odia households. This Lau Badhi Tarkari recipe is easy to make. After a heavy and rich food of Sunday meals, this light and flavorful curry is the call of the day. Since very less spices are used in this , it gives a very mild taste to the curry.
Odia Cuisine is itself is very simple, low on spices and flavorful. A typical odia meal consists of Bhata(Rice), Dali(Daal), different Bhaja (vegetables fried with light seasoning), Saagaw (leafy greens with garlic, panch phutan and dried red chilly), Khatta(Sweet and sour relish), Bharta (mashed potatoes , seasonal vegetables tempered with onion, panch phutan and dry red chili) , Tarkari(curry) which could be veg or non veg and finally some sweet dishes.
Lau Badhi Tarkari or curry prepared with tender lau or bottle gourd with simple spices mostly in the coastal plains where summer is hot and humid. This vegetable has high water content and has a cooling effect and so is one of the preferred veggies in the summer months in the odia households. This is very popular for weight loss and is also recommended for reducing high blood pressure and keeping the heart healthy.
- 1 medium bottle gourd, peeled and diced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 3-5 garlic flakes
- A handful of badi/ sun dried lentil dumplings
- 3 tsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 dry red chillis
- 1/2 tsp pancha phutana
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 and ½ tbsp mustard oil
- 1 tsp ground dry roasted cumin powder
- In a pressure cooker, put together the chopped bottle gourd, some salt and 1/2 cup water. Cook until the cooker blows 2 whistles. Put off the flame and keep aside to release the steam naturally.Then open the cooker and pour the boiled bottle gourd in a bowl. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok. Fry the potatoes in them for 2 minutes or until they become a little golden. Add the pancha-phutana and broken red chilli .
- Once the chilli changes it color, add the crushed garlic and the boiled bottle gourd along with excess water.Put cover and cook until the potatoes are done.
- Once the potatoes are nicely cooked from inside wait for all the water from the bottle gourd to evaporate.Cook for 2 mins and add coriander leaves.
- In a separate pan, heat some oil and fry the badi / sun dried lentil dumplings until golden. Add this fried badi / sun dried lentil dumplings to the bottle gourd.
- Remove from flame.Finally sprinkle the dry roasted and ground cumin powder over them.
- Serve hot with some lentils / dal and rice.