Sandesh being an inherent part of Bengali culture and festivity, became a ‘messenger’ of auspicious news creating anatmosphereof celebration and jubilation in Bengali households.Sandeshis a very popular Bengali sweet made with fresh homemade paneer or chenna. The traditional sandesh is made with plain chenna and some cardamom and pistachios are added to the base. But to give the traditional recipe a twist, I made a filling of kiwi fruit in it. The recipe is fairly easy to make and the end product is a delicious, melt-in-your-mouth Kiwifruit Sandesh.
This recipe which I have made during Navaratri is quite close to my heart as this recipe has got the highest appreciation for innovation and uniqueness in the Navaratri Recipe contest held by Filfora~ the eatolicious stop in association with www.restokitch.com.
The beautiful and well thought out gift by the Filfora~ the eatolicious stopadmins for this recipe is highly motivating. This traditional Indian Sweet called Sandesh made out of Chena or Paneer has been given a modern twist .
Packed with more vitamin C than an equivalent amount of orange, the bright green flesh of the kiwifruit speckled with tiny black seeds adds a dramatic tropical flair to any dish.
Health benefits of Kiwi fruit
- Kiwifruit is moderately good in calories, comparable to that of grapes. It has several health giving anti-oxidants, minerals, vitamins and fiber.
- It is good source of soluble dietary fiber.The fiber content helps to protect the colon mucousa by decreasing exposure time to toxins as well as binding to cancer-causing chemicals in the colon.
- The fruit is an excellent source of antioxidantvitamin-C; Consumption of foods rich in vitamin-C helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful free radicals.
- Kiwi fruit contains very good levels of vitamin-A, vitamin-E,vitamin-Kand flavonoid anti-oxidants such as beta-carotene, lutein and xanthin. Vitamin K has a potential role in the bone mass buiding by promoting osteotrophic activity in the
- Kiwi-fruit seeds are an excellent source ofomega-3 fatty acids. Research studies show that consumption of foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease, stroke, and help prevent the development of ADHD, autism, and other developmental disorders in children.
- Fresh kiwi fruit is a very rich source of heart-healthy electrolyte “potassium.” Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that help regulate heart rate and blood pressure by countering malefic effects of sodium.
- It also contains good amounts of minerals like manganese, iron and magnesium. Manganese is used in the body as a co-factor for the powerful antioxidant enzyme,superoxide dismutase. Magnesium is an important bone-strengthening mineral like calcium.