Kachori is a popular and spicy North Indian snack made of flour and stuffed with different kinds of filling. It taste best with sweet chutney or green chutney made with tamarind and mint. Green Peas Kachori is one such famous version of Kachori .Sweet and sour crushed green peas stuffed in crispy kachoris served with Mint and tamarind chutney will make your Sunday Afternoon more spicy.
Kachori comes with many variants such as Pyaaz Ki Kachori, Hare Matar Ki Kachori, Moong Dal Kachori,Sattu Kachori to name a few. The characteristics of a perfect kachori has a cover which is crisp and flaky but not too oily, and a soft filling, which is neither dry nor soggy.
As the green peas are disappearing from the market very fast, I have decided to make the best use of the fresh green peas to make some recipes out of it. These Green Peas kachoris with filling of crushed green peas seasoned with ginger, green chillies and some dry spices is completely worth the effort. These become more so special when I made these for my Mother who relished these with a hot cup of ginger tea.
For the Dough
- 2 cup plain flour
- 2 tbsp ghee
- salt to taste
- Water as needed
- 2 cups fresh green peas blended to a coarse paste
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 inch, ginger, grated
- ½ tsp dry mango powder
- 1 tsp, garam masala powder
- ½ tsp, red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon, coriander powder
- ½ cup, coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp, fennel seeds/crushed
- 1& 1/2 tablespoon, oil
- Salt To taste
- Oil for frying
- Mix flour, salt and ghee in a bowl to make a crumbly texture .Now, add water and knead it to a soft and smooth dough. Cover and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Blend green peas along with ginger, green chilies to a coarse paste. Take it out into a bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin, once it splutters, add coarsely blended green peas and sauté for a minute or two.Cover and cook for 5 minutes on low. Stir in between to avoid burning.
- Add chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, dry mango powder, Fennel seeds poweder and mix. Cook for another minute. Make sure that mixture dry completely.Take it off the heat and allow it to cool completely. Add coriander leaves and mix.
- Divide the dough into equal parts.Now, take one ball and roll it into 3-4 inch disc making sure that edges and slightly thinner than the centre. Then, place 1 tbsp of filling in the centre, bring the edges together carefully and pinch them to seal the mixture within. Do not over stuff the filling.
- Gently roll the kachoris to 2-3 inches circle. Repeat the same for all the kachoris.
- Heat enough oil in heavy bottom pan . Once the oil is medium hot, slide-in the kachoris few at a time and fry on medium high heat for a minutes. Then, reduce the flame to low and fry until they brown and crisp.
- Take out and place on kitchen towel. Serve them with green chutney.