Homemade Tandoori Masala or Indian BBQ spice mix is an authentic spice mixture used in Indian coking to give a smoky flavor to the dishes prepared in a grill or oven. Indian cuisine is characterized by the use of various spices and cooking techniques. This Tandoori Masala can be used to make Paneer tikka, Tandoori chicken, Tandoori veggies and a whole lot of veg and non veg dishes .
The specific spices used to make the Tandoori Masala include Whole spices, garlic, ginger, dried fenugreek leaves etc. The spices are dry rosted on slow fire till they start emitting aroma and take it off the flame. Once cooled, they are ground to a fine powder. This Tandoori Masala can be stored in airtight jars for up to two months. Most of the recipes for Tandoori Masala uses red food color to get the dark red color, but I have not used any artificial color in my recipe.
This homemade tandoori masala can be prepared with dry spices that you easily find in your kitchen and it is much more flavorful than the store bought one as it is fresh and without any preservatives.
Ingredients for Tandoori Masala:
- ½ cup Coriander Seeds
- 2 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Whole Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Clove
- 2 whole Nutmeg
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 1 large Cinnamon Stick
- 4 Mace
- 2 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves
- 2 tbsp Dry Ginger Powder
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tbsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp dried Mango Powder
Instructions to make Tandoori Masala:
- Dry roast Coriander Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Whole Black Pepper, Clove, Nutmeg,Black Cardamom,Cinnamon Stick, Mace and dried fenugreek leaves on slow flame till you have a nice aroma coming from the masala.
- Remove from fire and transfer into a plate and cool it down completely.
- Once cool,blend it in a spice blender till it becomes a fine powder.
- Add Dry Ginger Powder, Garlic Powder, Kashmiri Red Chili Powder, Turmeric Powder, dried Mango Powder and salt into the blended mixture and blend it again till mix it properly.
- Now sieve the blended mixture to have the fine powder mixture. Grind the coarse mixture remaining after the sieve, and sieve again till you have the whole masala into fine powder shape.
- Store this Homemade Tandoori Masala in an airtight jar , it can last upto 2 months.