Gujarati Kadhi is a popular dish made from yoghurt, gram flour, asafoetida and curry leaves giving it a savoury flavour. It is a very popular dish amongst the Indian households and it goes very well with khichdi.
Every region has their own way of making Kadhi which is a traditional preparation of a wonderful sweet and spicy curd mixture thickened with gram flour. It’s flavor can be enhanced in many ways using other ingredients like pakoras and koftas. Gujarati Kadhi is thin in consistency as compared to Pakoda Kadhi. Gujarati Kadhi contains curry leaves and mustard tampering and tastes very good.
- 1 1/2 cups Sour curd or yogurt
- 2 tbsp Gram flour
- 1/2 tsp Ginger Paste
- 2 nos Green chillies finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 cups water
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
For the tempering:
- Oil-2 tsp
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- Dry red chillies-2 nos
- Cinnamon-1 inch
- cloves-4 nos
- a pinch Hing or asafoetida
- Curry leaves-6 to 7 nos
- Take sour curd in a bowl. Add besan, ginger paste, green chillies, turmeric powder, sugar and salt. Whisk it well , so that there is no lumps in it. Then add water and mix it very well to make it a lump free batter.
- Transfer the batter to a pan and stir continuously on low heat till it comes to a boil , otherwise the yogurt will curdle . when it comes to a boil, start preparing the tempering.
- Heat oil in a small pan. once it is hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, One it starts to crackle, then add dry red chillies,cinnamon stick, cloves and roast for 10 more seconds. then add curry leaves and hing . Then turn off the heat and add this seasoning to the Kadhi. Stir well , let it simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes.
Finally, add chopped Coriander leaves, mix well and serve hot with Meethi Kichdi .
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 Green cardamom
- 2 coves
- 2 to 3 pepper corns
- 1 tsp saunf
- 2 to 3 tbsp sugarsalt
- a few strands of saffron soaked in 1 tbsp warm milk
- 1 tbsp of ghee
- 4 cups of water
- wash and soak the rice for minimum 30 minutes.
- In a pressure cooker, put 1 tbsp of ghee. When the ghee becomes hot, then add the bay leaf, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, pepper corn, and saunf. When the saunf starts to crackle, add the rice and cook for a minute. Add 2 cups of water, saffrom milk, sugar and salt and pressure cook on high heat till the first whistle comes. lower the heat and keep in the flame for another 2 to 3 minutes.then turn off the heat and allow the pressure cooker to cool.
- once cool, open the lid and your Meethi Khichdi is ready to be served.