Dry Chilli Chicken which is a bit spicy is the most popular Indo-Chinese chicken recipe across all those who love Desi Chinese. Dry Chilli Chicken got it’s spiciness from the generous use of green and red chilli and the crunch from the cornflour coating over the chicken . Chilli Chicken has it’s own variation as per the area and people eating it.This I realized in my recent trip to Rourkela, where the majority population is crazy about Chilli Chicken. This is so different in taste from the Chilli Chicken which I have tested in China Town in Kolkata. So I am not sure in which version my recipe might fall into but it will always remain a family favorite.
The first thing on my mind after I came back from Rourkela is to make my version where chicken is cooked in soy sauce flavored with garlic and ginger and a whole lot of fresh green chilies . Here, the monsoon has arrived in full form with dark clouds and heavy rain. I like everything about the rain,except it makes my home dark and gloomy.You know as a photographer,I feel my life will be restricted because I took photo in natural light. But like every situation, I take this in my stride and brave the weather and chase whatever light I could find to take my photographs.
Whatever my knowledge of food, Indo Chinese food is quite different from the authentic Chinese food, the flavours in Indo Chinese food have a beautiful balance of sweet, sour and spicy.From hakka noodles, fried rice, chicken chowmein and chopsuey, you can find its mark everywhere. In my place, we all love dry chili chicken with lively green chilies. This dry chili chicken is perfect to beat the gloominess of the rainy season and can be enjoyed with some hakka noodles or egg fried rice.
Ingredients for Chilli Chicken
- 300gms boneless and skinless chicken thighs cut into small bite size pieces
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- Pinch of salt
- Oil for deep frying
For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp garlic, mined
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 to 2 dry red chillies
- 4-5 green chilies, chopped
- 1 medium sized red onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp red chili sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- a pinch of sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp spring onion for garnishing
- Salt to taste
Learn how to make Chilli Chicken:
- In a large mixing bowl ,mix chicken, ginger garlic paste,chilli powder, black pepper powder,soy sauce, vinegar,egg, salt and cornflour and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Heat enough oil in a wide sauce pan or a wok and fry the chicken in the hot oil in batches for 1-2 minutes. Drain the chicken on kitchen paper and set aside.
- To make the sauce,heat 2 tbsp of oil in a wok add dry red chillies, garlic, ginger, green chilies and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.Add the onion and bell pepper and sauté over medium to high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the red chilli sauce and the soy sauce & stir well. Add the water and bring to a boil, add salt if needed and simmer for a 1minute on a low heat. Add the fried chicken pieces and stir to evenly coat them in the sauce.
- Simmer the sauce on a low heat for a minute. Add honey and toasted sesame seeds and serve warm with some noodles or fried rice with a garnish of spring onions.