Burritos are always my favourite as they are quick, easy to make.Burritos contain a number of juicy fillings including rice, beans and chicken, beef or pork wrapped in soft, warm tortillas . This is a vibrant and colorful dish packed with a tons of flavor. I used a mixture of red green and yellow bell peppers, purple cabbage, leftover black rice, grilled prawn,cilantro, and a simple salsa to make this vibrant dish.
This dish has been inspired by many recipes online and very quick to put together if you have leftover rice in the refrigerator. You can use leftover brown or black rice and chicken for this recipe also along with some simple salsa for a perfect brunch.Black rice also called Forbidden rice is a purple hued unpolished variety which is quire delicate and chew once cooked.It has the same health benefits as that of brown rice except the texture.It needs to be soaked before cooking to lessen the cooking time.
This Mexican classic can be paired with and simple salsa, hot sauce with a squeeze of lime juice. whenever I am in a hurry and no mood for elaborate cooking ,I’d pack these burritos in my lunch box .It is very easy to make and can be made within #20minutes which is apt for the theme chosen for our 91st Foodie Monday BlogHop theme. These burritos come together in less than 20 minutes with whatever leftovers you have in your fridge.
- 1 ½ cups cooked black rice
- 12 tiger prawns; deshelled and deveined
- 2 tbsp barbecue sauce
- 1-1 ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 large garlic clove; grated
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves; finely chopped
- 5-6 mint leaves; finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
For the Black Rice Stir fry:
- 1 cup chopped green, yellow and red bell pepper
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 tortilla wraps
- 1/2 cup of your favorite prepared salsa, plus extra for topping.
- 1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage
- Marinate the prawns with items marked for marination . Heat a cast Iron pan and , season with oil and grill the prawns on both sides for 2 minutes or untill the prawn turn pink brushing occasionally with barbecue sauce.Remove to a serving plate and garnish with chilli flakes and lemon slices.
- In a medium pan over high heat, add olive oil and chopped onion. Sauté for about 5 minutes until onion becomes soft and translucent. Add minced garlic and continue to cook for another few minutes, stirring frequently.Add yellow green and red bell pepper along with ground cumin and smoked paprika.
- Add black cooked rice to the pan. Cook, stirring, 2-3 minutes until the mixture is thoroughly heated. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove pan from the heat.
- To assemble, set out the tortillas on individual plates. Spoon the rice mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top each with grilled prawns ,shredded purple cabbage, a bit of salsa. Roll the tortilla up like an eggroll (fold the sides in, then roll up ), and top with more salsa, if desired.