Bela Pana is offered to Lord Jagganath as prasad or summer juice in Odisha and it act as an antidote for sun stroke also. This is one of the healthy and natural juice which would keep our stomach cool and filled, and guard us against the summer heat.
To identify whether the ‘Bael/Bela’ is ripe or not, first smell the fruit if it smells sweet then snap the stem off the pit and if the pit is orange its ready and ripe, but if its yellowish it’s still under done .
A ripe wood apple or Bael has laxative properties and is considered very good for digestion. Bael fruit juice is best remedy to reduce constipation and stomach pain. This contains laxative properties to clean and tone the intestines. Drinking this regularly for 2-3 months will reduce sub-chronic constipation. You can drink twice a day to ease stomach pain for kids. Add some black pepper and salt to the juice to remove toxins from the intestines.
Bela Pana is one of the healthy and natural juice which acts as an antidote for sun stroke. It is an excellent cooler for stomach during summers and can be consumed to get rid of heat or Loo. It is easy to make and need very simple ingredients. You can make it sweet and salty it depends on your taste and like.
- 1 medium size Wood Apple/Bela
- Juice of ½ a lime
- 1 tsp Black pepper powder
- Springs of Fresh mint
- 4 glasses of Chilled water
- Ice cubes to serve
- Crack open the Wood apple, scrap out its entire pulp using a spoon into a glass bowl/vessel. Pour 2 glasses of chilled water till the entire pulp is covered in water. Cover for minimum 1 to 2 hours or till you are ready to serve.
- Before serving, serve, strain the entire thick pulpy wood apple juice into a larger bowl through a large strainer . Press down the pulp with a spatula to completely extract the juice.Discard the remaining seeds, fibres etc left in the strainer.
- To the juice add the remaining 2 glass of chilled water. Stir well and add the lime juice and black salt, pour into your serving glasses and top up with ice and a spring of fresh mint.