Achari Aloo is a delicious blend of potatoes that are cooked with pickling spices in mustard oil. Since it is cooked with pickling spices , it gives the curry a spiciness and tanginess. Pickling spices like cumin seeds, mustard, fenugreek, and fennel seeds add lots of flavors and extra texture to this dry curry of potato .This is a no onion no garlic recipe of making Achari Aloo . One thing you must take care while making this recipe is you should cook it in a heavy bottomed pan so it does not burn easily. Also, while adding water mix and cook well with masala .
Potato is the most versatile of foods that has many roles to play on our menu. It can be made into a side dish, a main dish or a salad. There’s so much you can do with potato as it is one of those vegetables we depend on for our carbohydrates . So whenever I am in the mood to have something quick, easy and delicious, I go for this version of Achari Aloo.
This North Indian side dish where baby potatoes are boiled and coated with pickle spices like mustard, red chili, fennel seeds and dry mango can be served as a appetizer too. For making this curry, using the mustard oil is a must, because that makes the base of flavors and slightly sharp in taste. This version of Instant Achari Aloo is a simple, flavorful and tangy . This is an easy to make recipe ready in just under 10 minutes.
INGREDIENTS For the Achari masala
- 500 g baby Potatoes ( boiled and peeled )
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- Salt to Taste
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1 tsp roasted fennel powder
- ¼ tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 2-3 Whole dry red chilies
- 3 tbsp Mustard oil
- 1 tsp Dry mango powder
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Fresh coriander for garnishing
- Boil and peel the potatoes and keep aside. This taste all the more good if you have boiled potatoes in the fridge.Make sure not to overboil the potatoes as it needs to be cooked with the spices.
- Soak the fenugreek seeds in hot water till it becomes soft.Dry roast the cumin and fennel seeds separately and grind to a coarse powder.
- Heat mustard oil in a heavy bottomed pan.When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds,curry leaves and dry red chillies.
- Add potato and fry on high heat till the potatoes have browned outer skin for a few minutes.Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt, roasted cumin and fennel powder and and keep frying along with some water so that the masalas donot burn.Cover and cook till the potatoes are covered with all the masalas.
- Add dry mango powder and the soaked fenugreek seeds and give it a good stir. Remove from heat and and fresh coriander and Serve hot .